Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nicki Minaj Speaks Of A Gay-Friendly Hip-Hop World! :S

Young Money rapper Nicki Minaj believes that though the Hip-Hop community may not be ready to embrace a gay rapper just yet, those days aren't too far off in the future.

"I think the world is getting more gay-friendly, so Hip-Hop is too," she said while talking to Detail Magazine.

"But it's harder to imagine an openly gay male rapper being embraced. People view gay men as having no street credibility. But I think we'll see one in my lifetime."

Nicki came to that conclusion after explaining how being a female rapper allows her to have more freedom than the average male rapper has.

"I have a lot of freedom to be crazy. I can rap in a London accent, make weird faces, wear spandex, wigs, and black lipstick," she said. "I can be more creative than the average male rapper. And I can show my boobs. Guys can't do that."

The femcee also admitted that her newfound fame has led to her making some changes in her music, so that she can appeal to a broader audience.

"I'm a role model now," said Minaj. "I didn't know I was gonna have 13-year-old fans, so I've tried to change a few things here and there. But I also know that the girls don't want me to be Miley Cyrus, either."

Nicki Minaj has been no stranger to the headlines this past month with the most recent news being in regards to the firing of her manager Debra Antney, and her decision to drop out of Rihanna's Last Girl On Earth tour. She is scheduled to release her debut album later this year via Young Money/Universal Motown. Her lead single, Massive Attack featuring R&B singer/songwriter Sean Garrett is currently making its way up the Billboard charts.

COURTESY OF YORAPS.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment