Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gaza Slim's One Man blows up overseas!

Touted as Gaza Kim's replacement, dancehall fans have been wondering about just how good Vanessa Bling a.k.a Gaza Slim would be. They need not wonder anymore as she has already scored a major solo hit with the single, One Man, which is a fixture on the FiWi Choice Top ten charts, and of course, she collaborated famously with Popcaan and Kartel on the breakout 2010 hit, Clarks.

She is a bonafide star, just ask any one in her home town of Lawrence Tavern.

"The way the people approach me now is different, a crazy love in the
streets. Clarks made me into a star and mi feel proud of myself and mi
family proud of me as well," she told BOUNCE.

The singer has released a number of songs with the Empire a few
months ago. Apart from the combination single called One Man featuring
Kartel, a solo song called Mean Man, another hard-hitting
collaboration called Bedroom Bathroom with Sheba, and a highly touted
combination with Vybz Kartel himself called 'When You Touch Me'.

"Vybz Kartel plans to do a video for One Man soon as well," she said.

She is not surprised at the great success she has enjoyed in only a
few short months.

"I am not surprised because mi know that the songs dem woulda shot
because of Kartel, and I know I am talented, so this was expected, but
it's great. In June, I returned to Oberlin High to do a concert and
ovation I got from the students was tremendous, I would like to thank
Ms. Clark for the opportunity to come and perform...it was sick, the
girls screamed when I did One Man," she said, smiling.

Born Vawnessa Faddler, the 18 year-old grew up in the Lawrence Tavern
community in St. Andrew. She attended Oberlin High where she
concentrated on business-oriented subjects before graduating in 2008.
While growing up, she attended the Grant Hill Pentecostal church in
Lawrence Tavern where she participated in the church choir. She was
also active in the high school choir, and once she left high school,
she decided that she wanted to be a professional singer.

Interestingly, she recorded her first song, Only God Knows with the
controversial comedic tag team of Twins of Twins two years ago. And
now that she has joined the hottest crew in dancehall today, the
Portmore Empire, her stocks are on the rise.

Asked how her parents felt about her joining the Empire, she responded:
"Well, they're proud of me, they feel I have the potential to make it."

She doesn't seem ruffled by the controversies that rocked the Empire
earlier this year.

"I am here to do my thing to the best of my ability and to hopefully
learn and improve and become a better singer," she said.

Asked what she could bring to the Portmore Empire, she laughed and remarked:
"Well, I can write my own songs and I have my own unique flavour, the
world will soon see that."

Vybz Kartel christened her Gaza Slim because of her thin waist line,
and petite bone structure.

"I like the name very much. The first time I heard it, I laughed, then
it just kind of grew on me...I always smile when I hear it called."

ONE876ENTERTAINMENT.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment