Friday, September 24, 2010

ZJ Chrome blazing up the airwaves!

Creative, humble and enthused about music, ZJ Chrome has been blazing the airwaves not only on radio but with his own rhythms.

Having burst on to the production scene in 2007 with his Chromium rhythm which featured hits like Shake It Up from Munga and Twice A Day from Mavado, Chrome is continuing to make waves with his Cr203 Records. Born Shaun Chablal and hailing from Clarendon, Chrome has been a member of the Zip FM family for the last seven years playing the music before deciding to go into producing.

He told THE weekend STAR recently, "ZJ Chrome is the untouchable, meaning untouchable mixes, vibes, energy just the musical side of who I am. I got started in music when I was 13 and when I saw a man scratching a record on TV and I said I have to learn to do that and that became my motivator to become a DJ."

According to Chrome, he decided to produce music in 2007 when ideas for rhythms began "popping" into his head. The ZJ came on the scene with Chromium and followed up with sombre Recession. It was the dancehall banger Trippple Bounce with Hope and Pray from Mavado, Mr Officer from Kartel, however, that he cites as his big break into music. Triple Bounce earned Chrome a nomination for an Excellence in Music and Entertainment (EME) Award. The popular Madd Collab followed with the smash hit Clarkes, then the one drop Cardiac Bass and more recently Smokin.

own influence

While he doesn't build the rhythms himself, Chrome says he's always present to put his own influence in the music, directing patterns and ideas. He said, "anything that has creativity and vibes to it, I love it. People do say other people 'make for me', while it's truth, I'm fine with it. I'm not a musician but it's my creative idea that is being heard on the record. I just don't sit and somebody make me a rhythm and claim it's mine."

As to whether he expected to achieve such success with his works he said, "you don't go in with an expectation, just go in with whatever I feel and like and hope people like it too." According to Chrome, Smokin, which has songs such as Stulla from Mavado, Dumpa Truck from Kartel and Whine from Stephen McGregor, has been getting great reviews. Coming out soon, Chrome says will do a few singles with the likes of Kartel, Konshens, Assasin, Munga, Bugle and Serani and a new rhythm titled Dancehall EFX. For the future, the ZJ joked, "I see myself at home just resting watching the money pile up."

THE JAMAICA STAR

No comments:

Post a Comment